Trigger point myotherapy massage
Trigger point myotherapy this type of massage of the soft tissues of the skeleton which finds wide application in various fields of medicine. There are numerous recommendations for application of acupressure in reflexotherapy. Myotherapy massage is a synthesized method, the area of influence refers to an trigger point, and the method of influence is massage. In one or another combination, pressura is included in the complex of classical, sports, connective tissue, segmental and other types of massage.
The technique of ischemic compression (myotherapy - Travell, Simons 1984) is currently used to eliminate myofascial trigger points. According to the ideas of these authors, strong short-term compression of a myogenic point causes phase changes of the blood flow - ischemia and reactive fullness, which is a reflection of changes in the blood flow of the whole muscle.
Trigger point therapy indication
My clinical experience allows me to consider this technique of vigorous influence useful in many cases. First of all, the indication for myotherapy is a triggered algic phenomenon characterized by stability and recurrence of the local algic pattern of muscle hypertonicity. For this reason, local pressure should be performed at the site of trigger point, not in the referred area. As is known, there are latent trigger points, which are generators of pain syndrome, and localization of the pain pattern may not coincide at all with the source of origin. Such trigger points are often found in the thickness of the sternocleidomastoid and many other muscles.
Myotherapy massage technique
- Bent in the first interphalangeal joint, 1 or 2 fingers of the hand slowly begin to exert pressure on the trigger point.
- The intensity of pressure during one minute should increase up to 10-15 kg, and the local pressure should be combined with the elements of rotation, movement of the pressing finger to influence both the center and the periphery of the trigger point, the intensity of painful experience may be considerable during the first minutes.
- It is necessary to choose the direction of pressure towards solid tissue (bones, ligaments, fascia), avoiding the direction towards large vessels and nerves.
- The duration of the procedure is 3-5 minutes.
- Repeated pressure on the same areas can be given after 5-6 minutes, the total number of pressures within one session can be 2-4.
- The indication of the sufficiency of pressure is the occurrence of slight, pleasant soreness in the place of the former deep, aching pain. Patients often characterize it as justified "physical", contrasting it with spontaneous non-localized deep pain.
Myotherapy technique by Travell, Simons
The relaxed muscle is stretched until the first feeling of discomfort occurs. At first, the MFTP is squeezed with the thumb (or stronger finger) until the pain is tolerable. As the pain decreases (the patient adapts to the pain), the pressure is gradually increased, assisted if necessary with the thumb of the other hand. The process of squeezing lasts up to 1 minute with a force of 9-13 kg. A technique used by some chiropractors is similar to myotherapy. It involves squeezing the MFTP for 7-10 seconds several times a day for as many days as is necessary to relieve the soreness. Squeezing is done with a finger (distal phalanx or joint) or elbow depending on the thickness and depth of the affected muscle.
New on Instagram:
The Bible of the sports medicine— Остеопатия, мануальная терапия и кинезиология (@DocTafi) October 3, 2023
That's what this book is sometimes called in the English-speaking world. A thousand-page, two-kilogram weight, a veritable treasure trove of wisdom. Highly recommended. 👌
One reading is definitely not enough, sometimes you need to reread it. pic.twitter.com/GxWzpf4zDk